Pork Panko Crusted Mac N Cheese
- ½ cup butter
- 6 cups onion, thinly sliced
- 3 apples (I used gala) , peeled, cored, and medium dice
- 5 Tbsp flour
- 3½ cups milk
- 1 tsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 4 cups smoked Gouda, grated
- 3 cups Muenster cheese, grated and divided (mild white cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese would work fine as a substitute)
- 1-½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 tsp ground mustard
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 lb pasta (use a fun shape), cooked and cooled
- 1 cup Pork Panko crumbs to top the dish
Recipe courtesy of our friend: @OliveAndMango
Preheat the oven to 350°F. In a large stock pot , melt the butter over medium heat.
Add the onions and cook until golden brown and caramelized, about 20–30 minutes. Next, add and sauté the apples for 1–2 minutes.
Stir in the flour until combined.
Pour in the milk. While stirring continuously, let it come up to a slight simmer with the milk thickening. Remove from the heat and add the fresh thyme, Gouda, 1 cup Muenster, salt, and pepper, mustard and paprika.
Stir until the cheese has fully melted and the mixture is smooth (if needed, put the sauce pot back on low heat until the cheese melts).
Fold in the pasta and pour the mixture into a 13” x 9” casserole dish or into minis.
Top it with the remaining Muenster cheese and the Pork Panko crumbs and Bake for 45 minutes, or until bubbly and the top is golden brown.