Recipe courtesy of our friend: @backporchpaleo
- ¼ cup Pork Panko
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon fresh chives, finely chopped
- 2 cups gluten free pasta shells
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons Otto’s Cassava Flour
- 1 ¼ cup raw milk
- 1 egg, whisked (opt, makes it very rich)
- ¼ cup raw sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- ¼ cup gruyere cheese, grated
- ½ teaspoon Redmond Real Salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- pinch of nutmeg (opt)
- 3 strips cooked bacon, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, finely diced
- 1) In a small bowl, combine topping ingredients, fluff with a fork to combine, then set aside. Preheat oven to 350° and butter a baking dish.
- 2) In a large stock pot, fill with water and bring to a boil, following manufacturer directions, cook pasta until just barely firm. They will finish cooking with the cheese sauce in the oven.
- 3) In a 5 quart dutch oven or stock pot, melt butter and sprinkle in flour, whisk constantly over medium heat for a couple minutes. Pour in milk and whisk until smooth and begins to thicken.
- 4) If not using the egg, skip to step #4. If using the egg, spoon about 3 tablespoons of the warm milk into the eggs and whisk to combine. This tempers the eggs so they don’t scramble when you pour them into the warm milk. Once eggs are tempered, pour into the milk and whisk to combine.
- 5) Add cheeses, salt, pepper and nutmeg (if using) stirring to melt. Taste and adjust salt if needed.
- 6) Drain pasta and pour into cheese, stir to coat. Add bacon and chives, stirring again to combine. 7. Spoon into baking dish and sprinkle with topping. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly. Let cool slightly before serving.