Recipe courtesy of our friend: @backporchpaleo
- ½ cup almond flour (4)
- ½ cup Otto’s Cassava Flour (50)
- ¼ cup Pork Panko or ground pork rinds
- ¾ tsp Redmond Real Salt
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tblsp organic lard
- 1 egg, room temperature, whisked
- ¼ cup water, room temperature
- 6 oz organic raspberries
- 4-6 drops of liquid stevia glycerate (opt)
- pinch of Redmond Real Salt
- pinch of Otto’s Cassava Flour
- egg wash
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tblsp raw milk
1. Preheat oven to 425° and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. You will also need 2 - 8" squares of parchment to facilitate folding the empanada.
2. In a medium bowl, add flours, pork panko, salt and cinnamon. Toss with a fork until well combined.
3. Add lard to dry ingredients, using your fingers, work in until all lard is well incorporated. Pour in whisked egg and stir together with a small wooden spoon or alternately work in with your fingers until well combined. Pour in water, stirring together with small wooden spoon then work in with your hands to form a nice smooth dough ball. Let it set for 5 minutes covered with plastic.
4. Divide dough into 8 balls and place back in bowl keeping covered with plastic.
5. Prepare filling by placing raspberries in a small bowl. Add stevia (if using) salt and flour. Toss with a fork so all berries are coated, set aside.
6. Take one ball of dough and place between two pieces of parchment. Use a flat bottom plate and press straight down on the dough to form an approximate 4" small circle, roughly ⅛-⅜” thick. Peel top parchment off, leaving circle on parchment square.
7. Place approximately 3-5 raspberries (depends on their size) in the center of the circle of dough. Using the parchment, fold circle in half so edges meet then press to seal. Finish edges as desired and place on prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough balls.
8. Prepare egg wash, by combining egg yolk and milk in a small cup, whisking til well combined. Carefully brush tops of each empanada with egg wash and cut small slits in the top (so fruit can vent) and bake for 18-20 minutes or until golden and fruit is bubbly.
9. Best served warm!
*Approx. 54 total carbs in the whole empanada recipe. 8 empanadas = 6.75 tnc per empanada (depending on filling, carb count may be higher)