Brazilian Fried Bananas
With the 2016 Summer Olympics underway in RIo, we've had Brazil on the mind quite a bit. And what better way to explore another culture than through the universal language of Frying Things?! This delicious take on Brazilian Empanada Fritas is adapted from Katie over at the Condensed Clarks blog. Whether you're hosting a party for the closing ceremonies, or you just have a hankering to try something new, this dish is the perfect addition to your weekend. Recipe below!
. ingredients .
- 3-4 medium ripe bananas
- ¼ cup flour (we used King Arthur's gluten-free blend)
- 1¼ cup Pork Dust crushed pork rinds
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 2 Tbsp sugar if your diet permits, (honey would work as well)
- 2 Tbsp coconut flakes (optional)
- ⅓ cup water
- 1 egg
- 2-4 Tbsp ghee (we used OMghee which you can find here)
. instructions .
- Combine flour, ¼ cup Pork Dust, cornstarch, baking soda, sugar or honey, and coconut flakes in a medium size bowl. Mix in water and egg and set aside. Pour remaining Pork Dust in separate bowl.
- Heat 2 TBSP ghee in a frying pan on medium.
- Slice bananas into snackable sizes. We sliced them in varying sizes to add a little variety.
- Coat each piece in the batter before rolling in Pork Dust until covered.
- Fry bananas for about 10-15 seconds on each side. Enjoy the delicious fruits of your labor!